Article 7P on the personal income tax exemption: everything you need to know

Find out everything you need to know about article 7P.

+16.000 opinions and 4,7/5 Google Ratings

🚀 You can now file your income tax return! Register and calculate your result for free

Home » Foreigners and income tax returns » Article 7P on the personal income tax exemption

Resumiendo, que es gerundio

Article 7.p of the Personal Income Tax Law, which allows workers resident in Spain who work abroad to exempt up to 60,100 euros of their income from taxation. It details the necessary requirements, such as tax residence in Spain and effective work abroad, and offers advice on how to correctly apply this exemption in the income tax return.

Do you have the possibility of going to work abroad? Maybe they offer you the opportunity to move for a few months outside Spain, or to provide training for a subsidiary of your company, to say something?

If this is the case, read this article carefully because if you meet the requirements established in article 7P of the Personal Income Tax Law, the income you receive may be exempt.

Yes, exempt from taxation or, in other words, you will not have to pay a single euro of tax on them.  

What is Article 7P

Article 7P is the one that regulates the exemption of income from work obtained abroad when the requirements explained below are met and up to an amount of 60,100 euros.

This implies that you will not have to include this income in your income tax return nor will it be subject to withholding.


  • Being a tax resident in Spain: This is the person who resides in Spanish territory for more than 183 days a year or has his center of economic interests in this country.
  • Effectively moving to work abroad: In order to qualify for the exemption, there must be a real and effective movement to another country. It would not be valid, for example, if you work online from your home in Spain for a Swiss company.
  • Providing services for a foreign entity or a permanent establishment located outside Spain: As long as this condition is met, the fact that the payer is Spanish or not does not affect the application of the exemption.

On the other hand, in the case of companies belonging to the same group, the services rendered must represent an added value for the company receiving them and this is deemed to be fulfilled when it has paid for them to third parties or has performed them itself.

Spain has established agreements to avoid double taxation with all countries belonging to the European Union. Also with almost all the countries of South America and many others.

When you work in a country with which Spain does not have an agreement, you must pay taxes. This is because each country has different ways of taxing.

Another important requirement: The destination country must have a tax similar to personal income tax and must not be considered a tax haven.

In this sense, it is understood that this requirement is met when there is a Double Taxation Treaty in force with Spain. By the way, on the AEAT website you can see which countries are considered tax havens.

This condition does not imply that the income obtained has to be taxed there, but simply that there is a tax levied on the overall income of the taxpayer in which a progressive tax rate is applied (which is one in which the percentage to be applied to calculate the tax goes up as the volume of income does).

Por favor, activa JavaScript en tu navegador para completar este formulario.

¿Has hecho ya la declaración de la renta?

How to apply article 7P

Once it is clear that the application of article 7P corresponds, it is necessary to calculate the amount of the exemption and for this it is important to take into account the following:

From the amount of the annual salary you will have to calculate the proportional part that corresponds to the work done abroad. This is done by dividing the total income by 365 days and multiplying the result by the number of days you have been working abroad. What you obtain from this operation is the amount of the salary that will be exempt.

This calculation takes into account the number of calendar days you have been away, which includes weekends and holidays. However, those days you have been there for particular reasons (for example, before or after work) and vacations are not included.

Also exempt are any salary supplements you have received specifically for working abroad.

If there are several trips or several companies, the periods and amounts are added together and the joint limit of 60,100 euros applies.

Translated with (free version)

What documents do you need?

The best thing to do is to collect and keep any kind of documentation that can be used to prove that you have complied with all the requirements established in article 7P, because the Tax Authorities can be quite «picky» in this regard.

It is essential that the company certificate (which is the one they provide you with the amount of your total income) shows the place and date of the trip, the company to which the service has been provided and a description of the same.

Other documentation that you will need is the one that justifies both the trip and the stay there: airplane tickets (or train or boat), housing rental contract, hotel bills, credit card movements, bills for living expenses…

In short, anything that leaves no doubt that you have really been in the country concerned for any length of time and actually working.

Think that the application of the exemption can suppose an important economic saving for and a damage of equal size for the Treasury, reason why it is logical that this one tries by all means to avoid the fraud in this sense.

What is the favorite superpower of a worker under article 7.p? Tax invisibility! But only up to 60,100 euros, of course.


The IRPF exemption contemplated in article 7P is incompatible with that of the excess regime.

What is this? I’ll explain it right now:

This is the exemption contained in article 9A.3.b) of the Personal Income Tax Regulations according to which the excess of the amount that the employee would receive for all concepts if he/she worked in Spain is exempt from taxation.

That is to say, what is received in excess due to the fact of being displaced would not have to be included in the income tax return.

It applies to private sector workers as well as to civil servants and Administration personnel.

And, in any case, it will be the worker the one who will be able to choose to apply this exemption or, if he prefers, the one that we have explained of article 7P.

Apply 7P with TaxDown

Let’s see, although we have explained it in detail we will not deny that the application of the IRPF exemption of art. 7P in the income tax return can have its «little things» … But that need not be a problem because that’s what TaxDown is for : to calculate it perfectly, so that you comply with the Treasury with the least possible headaches but getting the greatest tax savings allowed by the rules. We wait for you!

You can now file your income tax return! Easy and secure with TaxDown

Get started now!

Dibujo de persona haciendo la declaración de la renta con TaxDown

We’re Open!

File your income tax return without errors and with the maximum possible savings.

Register now

If you need more help on the subject, write to us and we will try to help you:

We can help you

Did you find this article useful?


0€ por año

Conoce tu resultado sin coste

Calcula tu resultado incluyendo todas las deducciones. No incluye la presentación.

  • Incluyendo TODAS las deducciones
  • En 15 minutos
  • Fácil y claro

Elige el plan que mejor se adapta a tus necesidades

¡Más barato!
Hazlo por tu cuenta fácil y con seguridad

Desde 35€ por año

Plan PRO

  • Asesores vía email en 24h
  • Revisión final de expertos
  • Máximo ahorro garantizado
¿Una renta bien hecha al mejor precio? Este es tu plan
te recomendamos
Hazlo con apoyo de asesores en tiempo real

Desde 45€ por año


Todo lo de PRO más:

  • Chat directo con asesores
  • Respuestas en minutos
Ideal si buscas asesoría en tiempo real
¡nuevo SERVICIO!
Haz tu declaración con un experto en tu situación

Desde 55€ por año


Todo lo de LIVE más:

  • Un experto exclusivo para ti
  • Tu experto en WhatsApp
  • Informe final personalizado
Tu plan si buscas un experto exclusivo para ti
¡más premium!
Nos encargamos de hacer TODO por ti

Desde 65€ por año


Todo lo de EXPERT más:

  • Tu experto hace todo el proceso
  • Todos los trámites y ayudas incluidos*
  • Revisión de años anteriores
  • Cubrimos rentas complejas
Para los que prefieren dejarlo todo en manos de profesionales

El precio dependerá de la complejidad de tu declaración


¿Qué dicen quienes ya apostaron por TaxDown?



"Pensaba que solo era que te hacían la declaración y ya. Para mi sorpresa, ¡me orientan fiscalmente a lo largo de todo el año! Una verdadera pasada"

star star star star star


"Quise empezar a invertir en acciones y crypto y desconocía la relación fiscal que tendría y no dudé en aprovechar la suscripción para que me orientaran...muy útil!"

star star star star star


"iba a comprarme una casa y no sabía si me repercutiría fiscalmente, y me han aclarado absolutamente todo. Top!"

star star star star star


"el descuento en los planes para autónomos de trimestral es bastante bueno! ahora tengo todo centralizado y digital"

star star star star star


"me asesoraron en cómo y cuándo vender mi casa para ahorrar fiscalmente, no tenía ni idea!"

star star star star star


"prácticamente por el mismo precio que me cuesta un asesor, además de la renta tengo asesoría fiscal todo el año gratis...merece la pena"

star star star star star

Todos los medios hablan de nosotros

Descubre si tu declaración ha salido a devolver y sé el primero en presentarla con TaxDown

Regístrate ahora

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

Make your tax return now and pay 10% less!

Register and use the code: ADIOSHACIENDA10